THE CHARLESTON RENAISSANCE

1912 - 1940

1918
Jan. 3 -- Mary A. Storfer, the new proprietress of the Timrod Inn (formerly the Commercial Club, afterwards known as the Timrod Hotel), announced in the News and Courier: "Many people have told us that the Timrod Inn fills a distinct place in the community, and indications are that our rooms will be in demand from the beginning. We shall open Monday morning and guests will be given desirable accommodations without delay."

Sept. 17 -- The first case of the Great Spanish Influenza's arrival in Charleston was documented at the Navy Base.

1928
Nov. 24 -- The cornerstone for a new bank was laid at the historic former site of Shepheard's Tavern at the northeast corner of Broad and Church streets.

1929

Jan. 15 -- Joseph "Big Joe" Gawrych was born in North Haven, CT. According to his obituary in the Post and Courier, after his Navy service he and his Charleston bride settled in Mt. Pleasant, where he coached 11- and 12-year-old boys' baseball for more than 45 years. The Joe Gawrych Baseball Park in Mt. Pleasant is named in his honor. He also planted gardenias on Charlotte Street in the 1970s which have beeen propagated across the Southeast ever since.

1930
May 5 -- Arthur Trezevant Wayne died.

1931
Oct. 13 -- City Council created America's first historical zoning ordinance, protecting its 18th century core from demolitions and establishing the city Board of Architectural Review.

1933

Sept. 16 -- Marilyn Smith (m. Weeks) was born in Charleston, the daughter of Julian Allen Smith and Lucille Pieper Smith. She grew up in Old Windermere, graduated from St. Andrews High School, and attended the College of Charleston. In 1953 she was crowned Miss Charleston.

1935
Oct. 7 -- Porgy & Bess, an opera by George Gershwin based on the novel Porgy by DuBose Heyward, opened on Broadway. Telling the story about the lives of African-American tenants who lived on "Catfish Row," the play ran for 124 performances. The plot prominently features the lifes of members of Charleston's famed Mosquito Fleet.

1936
Nov. 23 -- Life magazine, created by Henry R. Luce, was first published. 

1937
July 30 -- The Rev. Daniel Jenkins died.

1939

Sept. 16 -- The last prisoners to be housed in the Old City Jail on Magazine Street were escorted out. (Source: Abode of Misery, p. 15)

1940
May 31 -- The Scottish Rite Cathedral sold the Rodgers Mansion at 149 Wentworth Street to the Atlantic Coast Life Insurance Company.

We visit the former landing of the Mosquito Fleet, now a popular restaurant, on our Lost Charleston Tours. (Image: Library of Congress)
A visit to the Luce family cemetery at Mepkin Abby is included in our Day on the Cooper River tour. (Image: Leigh Handal)
So many of our nation's "firsts" happened at the corner of Broad and Church streets, site of the former Shepheard's Tavern, which we discuss on our Lost Charleston Tour.
We talk about the brief, though glorious, days of the Commercial Club, later repurposed as the Timrod Inn and seen here as the Timrod Hotel on our Lost Charleston Tours. (mage: Library of Congress)