1711 -- Because the congregation of St. Philip's Anglican Church was outgrowing its building at the corner of Broad and Meeting streets, the colonial Assembly passed an "Act for Erecting a New Brick Church" on the east side of Church Street, just above Queen Street. (Source: Charleston, Charleston!, p. 31.)
1770 -- A committee appointed by members of the Charleston Library Society made their report recommending that fundraising should be undertaken for the creation of a school, a predecessor of the College of Charleston. (Source: A History of the College of Charleston, p. 11)
1786 -- Seeking a less expensive means by which to move their goods (as opposed to the expensive new Santee Canal), landowners in Goose Creek petitioned the State House to create turnpikes and tolls along the Goose Creek Road that ran from Charleston to Wassamassaw in an effort to ensure better maintenance of the land route. (Source: Goose Creek: A Definitive History, Volume II, p. 28.)
1986 -- News & Courier columnist Ashley Cooper wrote a piece recalling the grand Charleston Hotel, describing it as: “one of the few remaining links with the romantic days of terrapin soup, gas lights and visiting royalty.”
1750 -- The Rev. Robert Stone wrote in a letter: "in Goose Creek ... health was so bad that fourty-five was considered the common age of man." (Source: Goose Creek: A Definitive History, p. 56)
1732 -- Col. Charles Pinckney was born.
1737 -- The journal of the Commons House of Assembly authorized payment for "beef killed" and used by the Goose Creek Company during the "time of the Negro insurrection," providing documentation of one of the slave uprisings in the Lowcountry. (Source: Goose Creek: A Definitive History, p. 90)
1737 -- Thomas Monck, a planter from Goose Creek, advertised in ithe South Carolina Gazette offering a five-pound reward for the return of his enslaved Angolan man named Cudja. He described him as being "branded on his right breat 'T Monck.'" (Source: Goose Creek: A Definitive History, p. 90)
1758 -- The Assembly denied Lt. Col. Henry Bouquet's demand that they pay for his soldiers' housing. Among those who were opposed were Peter Manigault, Christopher Gadsden, Charles Pinckney, Henry Laurens and Rawlins Lowndes, writing "Officers and Soldiers cannot, legally or constitutionally, be quarter'd in private Houses, without the special Consent of the Owners or Possessors of such Houses."
1785 -- Because "the proper education of youth is essential to the happiness and prosperity of every community," the General Assembly of South Carolina passed an "act for erecting and establishing" the College of Cambridge in the district of Ninety-Six, Mt. Zion College in the district of Camden, and the College of Charleston, in or near the city of Charleston. (Source: A History of the College of Charleston, p. 1)
1780 -- Sir Henry Clinton and his troops make camp at Drayton Hall along the Ashley River.
1780 -- Leading a large contingent of British soldiers, Sir Henry Clinton set up camp near what today is Hampton Park and began bringing his troops over at Gibbes’ Landing. In his journal, a Hessian jager (or sharpshooter) Capt. Johann Ewald relates that they were posted at Grove Plantation, where he “did picket duty in one of the most beautiful pleasure gardens of the world.”