MEETING STREET

Meeting Street is a principal street on our Charleston Overview and Lost Charleston Tours.

  

Meeting Street was one of the orignal "great streets" of the new Charles Town colony, laid out according to the Great Modell created around 1672 by Anthony Ashley Cooper, Lord Shaftsbury, and his secretary, British philosopher John Locke. It takes its name from the fact that the White Meeting House of the Independents or Congregationalists, the non-Anglican dissenters of the colony, was located on this street where today's Circular Congregational Church stands. At that time, Catholics and Anglicans went to "church," while dissenters went to "meetings."

Orignally the street was referred to as "The Great Street that Runneth from Ashley River to the Market." It is one of the most interesting and historic streets in the city.

Also see:

1 Meeting Street, George Robertson House, c. 1846

2 Meeting Street, Carrington-Carr House, c. 1892

3 Meeting Street, Dependency of the George Robertson House, c. 1846

Southwest corner of Meeting and Broad streets, Post Office and Federal Courthouse, c. 1896 with 1987 addition. Former site of the Old Guard House.

115 Meeting Street, Mills House Hotel, c. 1853, rebuilt 1968

134 Meeting Street, Site of the S.C. Institute Hall, destroyed 1861

200 Meeting Street, site of the Charleston Hotel, destroyed 1960

George Robertson House, 1 Meeting Street, c. 1846
Carrington-Carr House, 2 Meeting Street, c. 1892
3 Meeting Street, Dependency of the George Robertson House, c. 1846
The Old Guard House (destroyed in the Earthquake of 1886) stood on the southwest corner of Broad and Meeting streets. (Image: Library of Congress)
The Mills House as it appeared shortly after the Civil War, c. 1865 (Image: Library of Congress)
Illustration of Circular Congregational Church and S.C. Institute Hall prior to their destruction in 1861. (image: Library of Congress)
The Charleston Hotel, 200 Meeting Street, prior to its destruction in 1960 (Image: Library of Congress)